Thursday, May 7, 2009

First Friday; May

First Friday Artwalk
Richmond, Virginia
May 1, 2009


I usually use this blog to write about my personal feelings and reactions to individual pieces of art at the event I attended. I feel like last First Friday warrants a different kind of post; a post that doesn't deal with the pieces individually, but the Artwalk as a whole.


We visited a gallery or two, but seemed to just be waiting for the highly talked-about May Day Parade. We stood and watched as the liberal college students and community members were led down Broad Street by the police. We were entertained with music, chanting, shopping carts and stilts.



We then went through the usual Artwalk drill. We visited ghostprint, Gallery 5, 1708, Quirk, and all the others up and down Broad Street. I particularly liked how the pieces in the gallery pictured below were tied into the mural on the wall behind. Each piece was related to the others and they all blended well with the wall art. This gallery was also very open and spacious so the large crowd didn't seem overwhelming as it did in other galleries.


The two most anticipated stops we made were naturally the grad work at Five Past One and the senior photography show. We stopped at Five Past One first. I actually really liked this work.


At Five Past One, I may have been initially drawn to John Petrenko's work since he was my teacher last semester, but ended up being drawn to it the most because of context as well. The prints were very big which allowed many details to come out of already detailed shots and the colors were very rich. I have personally always loved texture shots, so his prints really appealed to me.


Morgan and Eric apparently loved Petrenko's work as well. Look at those excited looks!

The Artist.

Finally: The Senior Show. The senior show was decent. The one thing I was a little disappointed in was the fact that I had seen most of this work before, in the hallways of Pollack. I know the artist can't be blamed for that, but I was excited to see the senior's work, and a little dissapointed when I had already seen the majority of the art. This seires, above, is one that I had seen before, but still really enjoyed. The idea of being alone in what is usually a crowded place is very interesting to me, and I feel that his series was very well done. Overall, this first friday was packed with entertainment, that may have overshadowed the art, but fun and inciteful nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment