Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Anderson Gallery


The Anderson Gallery has a show up right now called "Embodying the Sacred in Yoruba Art: Featuring the Bernard and Patricia Wagner Collection" which is comprised of African and Nigerian art.




The exhibit was mostly comprised of carvings and masks made by the natives of the specific countries involved. These, to me, were interesting at first, but didn't keep my attention. I did like how they would show the carvings/statues/mask and then have a picture printed of how it was actually worn/used in that country. I like seeing it on the person better than in a case. Some of the carvings were really intricate and detailed, though, which impresses me since there's no way I could do such a thing.



By far, my favorite part of the gallery was the room with wall to wall beaded prayer pouches on panels. The room was overwhelming. The colors and varieties in shapes and sizes were awesome to see on such a big scale. When Morgan and I were looking at them up close, we didn't understand at first. We complained about the use of glitter and the bad stitching and tried to find something to read about the display and once we did, I really fell in love with it. I didn't realize at first that these pouches were from people of all ages and each contained a specific wish or prayer on a piece of paper. I loved that the project was so hands-on and collaborative and involved so many people of different ages. It made me want to study each beaded prayer pouch individually.

The photos on this post were taken by me.


No comments:

Post a Comment